FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNTS
Memphis-Shelby County Schools offers a flexible spending program administered by Optum Financial (formerly Connect Your Care). A flexible spending account is a tax-advantaged account that allows you to use pre-tax dollars to pay for qualified medical or dependent care expenses. You choose how much money you want to contribute to the flexible spending account at the beginning of each plan year, and you can access these funds throughout the year.
Paying for qualified health or dependent care expenses is now easier and less expensive with a flexible spending account from Optum Financial.
Eligibility & Enrollment Information:
- Full-time permanent employees (working 30 hours or more per week) may enroll in coverage within 30 days of their hire date (30 days for a re-hire).
- Enrollment must be completed online at https://www.mybentek.com/mscs.
- Coverage is effective the first day of the month after the completion of 30 days of employment.
- You can only make changes to your flexible spending account during Open Enrollment each year or within 30 days of a qualifying life event (example: marriage, divorce, birth/adoption of a child, loss of other coverage, dependent loss of other coverage, etc.).
- This benefit runs from January 1st - December 31st of each calendar year.
- If you do not use all the money you contributed to your health or dependent care flexible spending account, you will lose any remaining balance in the account at the end of the eligible claims period.
MSCS offers two types of flexible spending accounts: a healthcare flexible spending account (FSA) and a dependent care flexible spending account (DCAP). For more information on how these plans work and expenses covered by these plans, please visit the links below.
- Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- FSA Eligible Expenses
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- DCAP Eligible Expenses (Dependent Care Eligible Expenses)
Contribution Limits for Healthcare & Dependent Care:
Annual Minimum Annual Maximum (governed by the IRS)
Healthcare FSA $300 $3,050
Dependent Care FSA $600 $5,000
Qualified expenses that can be reimbursed under the Flexible Spending Accounts include costs such as:
- Copays and doctor’s fees
- Prescribed over-the-counter drugs and prescriptions
- Dental and eye care expenses
- Daycare expenses (children under age 12)*
A complete list of qualified expenses can be found at www.connectyourcare.com. You can also use your Healthcare FSA to buy healthcare items through the FSA Store.
After reviewing our website, if you have specific questions regarding flexible spending accounts, you may contact Optum Financial directly at 1-877-292-4040 or 1-833-799-1778.
For questions, please feel free to call (901) 416-5304 or email us at [email protected].
How are we doing? Take the MSCS HR Survey by clicking HERE!